- The United Kingdom (UK) is one of the top international study destinations in the world, and it attracts over 450,000 international students yearly.
- The UK has 164 universities and other high institutions, out of which 17 are listed among the top universities in the world.
- More than 30,000 international students opt for MS from the UK every year. However, the UK is not one of the most affordable international study destinations. If you want to have the perfect study experience abroad, you need to plan your budget carefully.
MS from UK is a 1 to 2 years full-time degree and takes 3 years when completed as a part-time degree. MS from the UK Universities has an abundance of specialisations, fields, and courses to choose from. It is research-based, course-based, or a combination of both approaches. Pursuing Masters or MS from the UK can cost you anywhere between £15,000 to £35,000 a year. The blog helps international aspirants find a degree of their preference.
Table of Contents hide
1 Why Choose the UK for Masters?
2 Top 10 Best Universities in the UK for MS
3 Tuition Fees for International Students
4 Get Placed in Top Organisations in the UK
5 MS in UK Eligibility and Admission Requirements
6 Documents Required for Masters in UK Universities
7 How to Apply for Masters in the UK?
8 Scholarships for Masters in UK
8.1 The Chevening Scholarships
8.2 Euraxess UK
8.3 The Commonwealth Scholarships and fellowships
8.4 Dr Manmohan Singh Scholarships
8.5 The Global Study Awards
8.6 Erasmus Mundus
8.7 University-specific scholarships
9 Job Opportunities along with the Salary in the UK
Why Choose the UK for Masters?
The first question that comes to mind is why should you consider the UK for master’s when thinking of pursuing post-graduation. MS from the UK offers numerous advantages to international students. Let’s take a look at some of them below:
- Academic excellence and global recognition: 17 out of 164 Universities (in the world) and other higher education institutions are in the UK. The added edge to this is that all the universities in the UK are globally recognised. This translated into UK Master’s programs allowing you to work worldwide with the same valuable degree you have earned.
- Top-Notch Universities: UK houses 90 Universities in total that have bagged top positions on the QS ranking board. Then it is no surprise that 4 UK universities are among the top 10 universities of the world. This is one of the primary reasons why the UK for master’s is the apt choice.
- Course flexibility: Courses in the UK allow you to explore, combine, and upskill your knowledge by accessing flexibility of your choice to customise your courses as per your wishes.
- Course Duration: MS from the UK takes just one year to complete (2 or 3 in case you want to take it up part-time) when compared with other popular student destinations like US and Canada. This translates into fewer tuition fees, too, even though education is not the cheapest in the UK.
- Accommodation: Many universities only have space in their own postgraduate halls for international postgraduate students. However, some universities have a place for all on a first-come, first-serve basis.
- Post-study job opportunities: MS from the UK opens up a possibility to even take up a job and are allowed to stay back for 2 years after completing their studies. PhD students can even stay back for 3 years in the UK after their PhD. This gives international students enough time to seek a job and apply for a work permit.
Top 10 Best Universities in the UK for MS
Pursuing MS from the UK is an exciting and rewarding career opportunity for international students.
In this regard, enrolling in one of the top UK universities for master’s is the best way forward. Below are the details of some top Universities, their QS World Ranking for 2022 and their average tuition fees/year:
|University||Ranking at the QS World Ranking 2022||Tuition Fees Per Year|
|University of Oxford||#2||£27,000 - £40,000|
|University of Cambridge||#3||£22,000 - £33,000|
|Imperial College London||#7||£31,000 - £35,700|
|University College London||#8||£21,000 - £25,000|
|University of Edinburgh||#16||£22,000 - £34,000|
|University of Manchester||#27||£20,000 - £28,000|
|King’s College London||#35||£18,000 - £29,000|
|London School of Economics and Political Science||#49||£18,000 - £22,000|
|University of Warwick||#61||£17,000 - £22,000|
|University of Bristol||#62||£17,000 - £20,000|
These are the top universities to pursue MS from the UK for Indian as well as other international students. Studying Masters in these universities/colleges will ensure that you get the best quality education.
Tuition Fees for International Students
Tuition for international students means tuition fees that are applicable to all international students who are not from the UK, EU, or EEA. International students pay higher tuition fees as high as two or three times. International students cannot apply for student loans and must find unique ways to pay for their higher education (for example, scholarships, grants, bank loans, and more).
Due to Brexit, 2020 was the last year when EU/EEA students could pay the exact tuition fees as UK citizens. From 1 August 2021, international students will fall under the same bracket as current international students, which means higher tuition fees.
It is an interesting fact to note that more than 30,000 international students seek admission to MS from the UK. Postgraduate courses in the UK offer a variety of job opportunities as soon as they obtain their degree.
Get Placed in Top Organisations in the UK
To get a job in any of the top companies of the world, pursue these 10 master’s courses in the UK.
Below is a list of top courses and the Master’s Program for it in the UK:
Master in Business Administration
- Executive MBA
- Global Executive MBA
- MSc International Management
- MSc Strategy Marketing
- MSc Management
Accounting and Finance
- MSc Accounting, Organisations and Institutions
- MPhil Accounting and Finance
- MSc Accounting and Finance
- MEng Civil Engineering
- MEng Mechanical Engineering
- MSc Cyber Security
- Master of Science
- Master in Computer Science
- MEng Software Engineering
- MSc Construction Project Management
- MSc Advanced Engineering Management
- MA Fashion Marketing
- MSc Strategic Fashion Management
- MSc Marketing
- MA Marketing
- MSc Data Science
- MSc Health Data Science
- MBBS Chir
- MB ChB
- MBBS Medicine
- MPhil Architecture and Urban Studies
- Master of Architecture
- MA Landscape Architecture
MS in UK Eligibility and Admission Requirements
Masters or MS from the UK requirements differs depending on the course and the university you are opting for. However, some of the essential requirements to study in the UK are:
- An Undergraduate Degree: Students who have completed a bachelor’s degree with a minimum of 60% in the field related are eligible to apply. The accepted CGPA at top universities in the UK is 6.5 or 7 for international students.
- IELTS/TOEFL or PTE scores: The other important factor which makes MS in the UK for Indian students and students from other non-English speaking countries accessible is their language proficiency test score. Most UK Universities accept 6.5-7 IELTS scores and about 90-110 TOEFL scores. PTE scores are accepted too.
- GMAT/GRE Scores: MS from the UK requirements means that some universities may include your GMAT or GRE test scores. This is an essential aspect and also recommended in case you want to study in any STEM course. Most UK universities accept a GMAT score of 650 and 160 on the GRE.
- Work Experience Matters: While applying for a master’s, having some work experience is essential and a plus for many expert-level courses such as an MBA in the UK. However, some Master’s courses do not require this as a mandate, but only as a plus factor.
- Passport and Visa Requirements: A valid passport and student visa are crucial requirements for all international students to study any course at any university in the UK. Do keep in mind, however, that to apply for your UK student visa, you must start at least 3 months prior to the expected date of travel.
Documents Required for Masters in UK Universities
To apply for MS from the UK, you will be required to submit a set of the below set of documents below to the universities.
- Transcripts of educational qualifications to date
- CV or Resume
- LOR (Letter of Recommendation)
- SOP (Statement of Purpose)
- Scorecards per the result of IELTS/TOEFL
- Scorecards per the result of the GMAT/GRE
- Work experience certificate
- Proof of Funds
How to Apply for Masters in the UK?
The good news is that the UK offers two intakes every year. This basically means you can take admission during the September-October intake/cycle or during the January-February intake/cycle. Students can apply for MS from the UK directly via the university’s website. To apply to any university in the UK, below mentioned steps will come in handy:
- Shortlist universities that interest you/wish to apply to. Take note of their eligibility criteria, requirements, last day of submission and more.
- Ensure that you make an account on the university website to make it easy for you to apply.
- Be wise in selecting the Master’s program you want to study.
- Ensure that you fulfil the eligibility criteria as it is a prerequisite. Ensure that your minimum IELTS score is as per the minimum required score mandatorily.
- To apply, access the university portal and fill out the online application form.
- Submit all the required documents, portfolio and proof of funds and more.
- Pay the application fees and submit the form.
- Patiently wait for the university to respond. On acceptance, apply for a student visa.
Scholarships for Masters in UK
Studying in the UK can be expensive, but since the length of the course is shorter than in other countries, half your battle is won. However, you can do so much more with your perseverance and dedication. Have your education sponsored by winning various scholarships out of India.
Below are some of the master’ scholarships UK you can apply for:
The Chevening Scholarships
Academically sound students can receive scholarships to study MS from the UK by the Government. The scholarship covers 1 year of your education, and about 1500 students are able to clear exams every year.
In case you have the expertise, you can help researchers across the world who can then help you get an admission to study in the UK. The scholarship covers funding for research projects
The Commonwealth Scholarships and fellowships
Students who are not economically very sound can take advantage of this scholarship.
The scholarship covers master’ scholarship in the UK covers your education expenses.
Dr Manmohan Singh Scholarships
It is a scholarship started by St.John’s College and is a scholarship open to Indian students. It is awarded to science students. The scholarship covers academic fees and living expenses. It helps you earn a monthly stipend as well.
The Global Study Awards
British Council, study portals and ISIC offer scholarships for MS from the UK for two international students every year. The scholarship covered is that the chosen student receives £10,000 to study in the UK.
This global scholarship is provided to international students to study anywhere in the world.
The scholarship covers the amount totally or partially depending on your calibre, course and more.
A variety of universities offer scholarships to international students. You can always reach out to the universities or check their official websites to gather information regarding the same. The scholarship varies between universities and programs you might be interested in. Most universities cover partial or full tuition fees.
Job Opportunities along with the Salary in the UK
Below is a list of popular jobs in the UK with per year salary:
- Financial Services: up to £77,000
- Executive Management and Change Management: to £70,000
- Airline industry: up to £63,000
- Legal Department: up to £61,000 in compliance
- Anti Money Laundering, Know Your Customer and Monitoring: up to £57,000
- Legal and Paralegal: up to £56,000
- Graphic Designing: up to £24,000
- Software Development: up to £32,000
- Data Analysis and Management: up to £38,000
Salaries after MS from the UK universities for graduates across a variety of professional fields are cited below:
- Coventry University: £39,000
- Dundee University: £53,000
- Glasgow Caledonian University: £40,000
- Imperial College of London: £100,000
- King’s College London: £53,000
- Leicester University: £63,000
- Middlesex University: £50,000
- London School of Economics: £80,000
- Manchester University: £86,000
- University of Nottingham: £70,000
- University College London: £69,000
Post-study work visa after MS in the UK, also known as the graduate route, allows students to continue to stay in the country for 2 years after completion of the degree, as per the latest policy of the UK government, which was launched back in 2019.
Master’s from the UK is a decision of a lifetime as it offers great courses from some of the topmost universities in the world. MS from the UK presents numerous exciting learning experiences to students and more. In addition to that, many cities in the UK are considered the most friendly International student-friendly cities, among which London is considered to be on the top of the world list.
The bottom line is that UK cities offer the best student-life balance to international students and are looked up to in terms of affordability and desirability. If you are ready to take the first step, further information to go for MS in the UK is just a click away on LeapScholar.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What are some of the in-demand jobs in the UK?
Some of the in-demand jobs in the UK include verticals like tech, healthcare, real estate, and finance. If you are an Engineer, Doctor, Construction Manager, or Finance Analyst, you are all set to kickstart your way in the UK.
2. How can I work for prestigious organisations after completing a Masters in the UK?
After completing Masters in Engineering, Finance, Marketing, or any field of E-commerce, you are eligible to apply to Amazon and other big companies. For example, if you want to work at Amazon in the UK, you can apply directly on their website, or you can do some networking and apply for the job via referrals.
How useful was this post?
Click on a star to rate it!
Average rating 4.5 / 5. Vote count: 2
No votes so far! Be the first to rate this post.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?
An International Higher Ed professional with 7+ years of experience studying, working, and living across three geographies, currently on a mission to share his journey as an International Student.